Often described as the most important thing you can do to create a healthy, thick and robust lawn, core aeration is the process of mechanically removing small cores of soil from the lawn using an aerator. The aerator is designed to penetrate the soil and remove small cores about 2-3” in depth.
The lawn aeration process leaves plugs of soil and thatch on the surface of the lawn so they can be incorporated back into the lawn.
Depending on the time of year and weather conditions, these small cores will decompose and the tiny holes will fill in within a few weeks.
Core Aeration provides a number of benefits to your lawn, including:
• Encourages deep healthy roots
• Removes undesirable, excessive thatch layers
• Helps eliminate drought stress
• Reduces weed infestations
• Reduces insect and disease incidence
• Reduces and relieves soil compaction
• Increases the uptake of fertilizers and control products
• Increased oxygen levels to root systems
• Stimulates new turf growth
Typically, the ideal time to have your lawn aerated is during Spring or Fall, when the lawn is actively growing. Normally, aerating your lawn once each year is sufficient for good healthy turf. Heavily compacted soils and lawns with excessive thatch buildup may require adding more frequent aerations.
Contact us for more information. Our knowledgeable staff would be happy to provide a detailed evaluation of your property’s needs.